The solar lighting system consists of an array of solar panels, which are installed at the roof top of the schools/hostels. The panels convert the solar energy and store it in a central battery system, which in turn powers DC lights installed in the study halls, dormitories, kitchens, dining halls and washrooms.
Benefits of the program
- Provides a stable source of light for schools and hostels.
- Hostel lighting can cater to a group of students at a time.
- Ensures safety in hostels located in remote areas.
- Enables students to participate in recreational activities using solar lighting system at night.
- Expected to benefit 2 Lakh students by 2018
- Over 50,000 solar lamps have been distributed to the students
- Solar Lamps have been provided to more than 225 hostels
- The Hostel Lighting initiative has benefitted over 20,000 students
- Lighting has been provided for 1500 homes in the villages where the students reside